We hold these truths to be self-evident:
Repair is better than recycling.
Making our things last longer is both more efficient and more cost-effective than mining them for raw materials.
Repair saves the planet.
Earth has limited resources and we can’t run a linear manufacturing process forever. The best way to be efficient is to reuse what we already have!
Repair saves you money.
Fixing things is often free, and usually cheaper than replacing them. Doing the repair yourself saves serious dough.
Repair teaches engineering.
The best way to find out how something works is to take it apart!
If you can’t fix it, you don’t own it.
Repair connects people and devices, creating bonds that transcend consumption. Self-repair is sustainable.
- Repair connects you with your things
- Repair empowers and emboldens individuals
- Repair transforms consumers into contributors
- Repair inspires pride in ownership
- Repair injects soul and makes things unique
- Repair is independence
- Repair requires creativity
- Repair is green
- Repair is joyful
- Repair is necessary for understanding our things
- Repair saves money and resources
We have the right …
- to open and repair our things—without voiding the warranty
- to devices that can be opened
- to error codes and wiring diagrams
- to troubleshooting instructions and Flowcharts
- to repair documentation for everything
- to choose our own repair technician
- to remove ‘do not remove’ stickers
- to repair things in the privacy of our own homes
- to replace any and all consumables ourselves
- to hardware that doesn’t require proprietary tools to repair
- to available, reasonably priced service parts